State Report Card
TobaccoDid you know?
PreventionDid you know?
Did You Know?
- Significant increases in a state’s cigarette and OTP taxes reduce tobacco use and tobacco-caused diseases, which in turn reduce health care costs.
- Smoke-free laws are good for business. In fact, no independent study has shown that smokefree laws negatively affect the restaurant or bar industry.
- One-quarter to one-third of all cancer diagnoses and up to one-third of cancer deaths are due to poor diet, physical inactivity and overweight and obesity.
- Restricting access to tanning devices is consistent with other policies that protect youths from harmful substances like tobacco and alcohol.
- Without increased transparency requirements for health insurance plans, cancer patients may have to buy a plan without knowing how much their potentially lifesaving drugs will cost each month.
- Studies conducted in variety of states including New York and Texas have found that providing palliative care alongside disease-focused treatment in hospitals can reduce costs from approximately $1,700 per patient to nearly $10,000 per patient.